Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Work the sales floor and register on a regular basis and behind the cheese counter as needed. Positioned could be restructured to be more cheese focused if better suited to applicants experience.
- Train and develop staff, and lead them in the course of daily operations.
- Manage inventory in POS system and webstore.
- Monitor stock levels of supplies and product.
- Communicate effectively with staff, customers, and vendors.
- Demonstrate strong time management and effective planning skills across all aspects of the business.
- Oversee cleanliness and sanitation procedures, including implementing daily/weekly/monthly sidework schedules.
- Receive deliveries, ensuring that all received product is accounted for and saleable and properly stocked or stored.
- Adhere to all food safety and labor guidelines and Department of Agriculture regulations.
- Participate in monthly and annual inventories.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
- Minimum one year experience managing in a retail or customer-facing food service position.
- Cash handling experience and basic math skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Serve Safe certification required within first three months of employment.
- Basic computer skills and experience with POS systems. Experience with Excel preferred.
- Experience with artisan cheeses and meats, specialty grocery, and/or wine is highly preferred. An interest in and willingness to learn about these products in mandatory.
- Use of knives and kitchen equipment such as meat slicers will be required. Experience as a cheesemonger or working in a professional kitchen is a plus.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, walk, bend, talk, hear, listen, reach, grasp, taste, smell, perform repetitive motions and use hands to handle or feel objects.
- Ability to push, pull, lift, carry, or otherwise move 10 - 25 lbs. regularly and up to 70 lbs. occasionally.
- Half-Shepherd Market is an inclusive environment that strives to maintain a workplace that is safe and supportive. The General Manager's paramount responsibilities are to foster this environment with a positive attitude and open communication; and ensure our staff's success through training, encouraging creativity, and leading by example.
This is a full time, salaried postion. Salary DOE.